Sunday, June 3, 2012

Character's With Minds of Their Own

The interesting thing about being a writer is the different experiences we create.  Sometimes we are even surprised by how the characters of our imagination evolve.  For instance, I had written and edited this one scene several times already, when suddenly the secondary male lead jumped into the scene. 

I was so excited that he wanted to be there.  He said he wasn't leaving until he explained himself to the heroine.  He added drama of course, but he also added more depth to the heroine's character and left her with more difficult choices to make in the end.

When I told my husband this, he looked at me hard.  I know he was trying to determine my state of mind.  How on earth can a character do that? he wanted to know.  I just giggled for a moment then asked him if he thought I was crazy.  Needless to say he wasn't in a hurry to answer that question.

I told him it was the joy of have true, believable characters.  They come alive for me.  I suppose you can look at it as another author put it, we are either crazy or magical. 

I prefer Magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment