Sunday, March 17, 2013

GILDED AGE ~ A Novel by Claire McMillan


 
I recently met author, Claire McMillan at my chapter's monthly meeting.  She spoke about her new novel Gilded Age, which is a contemporary.  This really threw me and at first I wasn't interested in the book at all.  Besides, the novel is set in Cleveland of all places.  When I look at Cleveland, whether I'm driving up 71 or 77, all is see is dirt, crime and an unexciting skyline.

Now that I have began reading, I have to say her writer's voice hooked me right away so I read another page and then another.  The story doesn't start in a dirty, crime-ridden, unexciting location.  Instead, the story unfolds in the beautiful Severance Hall.  The fretwork is rumored to have been modeled after benefactor John Severance's wife's wedding veil.  How romantic!

To enjoy this promising novel yourself, visit:

http://www.amazon.com/Gilded-Age-Novel-Claire-McMillan/dp/145164048X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363541898&sr=1-1&keywords=gilded+age

No comments:

Post a Comment